The Kennel Club has announced the names of the members of the agility teams who will represent Young Kennel Club (YKC) Agility Team GB at the European Open Junior Agility Championships in Switzerland from 12th – 14th July 2019.
The successful young handlers and dogs were chosen following this year’s squad selection process. Two selection days were held at Nottingham Trent University, which consisted of both agility and jumping courses, and the squad trained alongside the Senior Team GB. Handlers invited to both selection days competed on four courses in total, giving the handlers plenty of opportunity to impress. The top handler in each height qualified automatically, adding an extra element of excitement to the competition and ensuring some fantastic runs. Consideration was also given to those handlers who competed at Crufts in the Agility Dog of the Year competition.
The selection days were judged by Martin Cavill and guest judge Ron van Straten from the Netherlands. The coaching team was made up of Mark Laker (team manager), Josie Spurling (team coach), Ann Roberts (team liaison) and Rachel Mowbray (team vet) who assessed the competitors’ course performance, attitude, fault recovery, and the health of the dogs.
The Kennel Club congratulates all the handlers who have been selected to represent YKC Agility Team GB this year, which is supported by Natural Instinct and sponsored by the Kennel Club.
Agility Team GB Manager, Mark Laker said: “This is the fourth year we’ve taken a junior team to the European Open and the standard is higher than ever. We’ve seen 67 young handlers try out and the level of agility and depth of competition across all three heights has been very impressive. We’ve selected a very strong team which I’m looking forward to working with as we start the preparations for the European Open for juniors in Switzerland this July.”
Emma Cooper, Marketing Assistant at Natural Instinct, said: “Natural Instinct are thrilled to be sponsoring the Juniors Agility Team GB for the 2019-2020 season. We are proud to fuel many of the Agility Team GB dogs and receive some great testimonials. Together with The Kennel Club and Nottingham Trent University, we look forward to supporting the team.
“On behalf of Natural Instinct we’d like to wish Agility Team GB all the luck for the events taking place over the next couple of years!”
The teams selected are as follows:
- Stacey Frost – Frosties Pocket Rocket
- Stephanie Jones – Pop Stayley
- Sarah Kirk – Little Pip
- Lucas Irwin-Burns – Lucas’s Little Soppy Sam
- Rosie Sawyer – Happy Pappi Of Many Tears
- Jack Ryan – Jachols Jump Jet
- Jack Ryan – Jachols What Izzit
- Summer Clark – Triggerwick’s Ruby AW(G)
- Lucinda Lowes – Trouble And Squeak
- Emma Greenshields – Black Knight of Wessex
- Emilia Bowers – Fandabidozi Star Ting
- Hannah Thorp – Izzie Catch a Falling Star
- Hollie Archer – Tazeous Dream of Me
- Taylor Lyon – Tynever Tariq
- Thomas Shaw – Mercanti Tiger Moth
- Thomas Shaw – Laugh Out Loud
- Rory Tidmarsh – Looky looky Mr. Red Hot Diesel
- Adam Stretton – Tottakai Voin Olla Valopilkku
- Sarah Wolverson – The Force Unleashed
- Emily Rice-Stringer – Jumping Jack in the Box
- Lucy Lightowler – Morgans Spider From Mars
- Millie Sawyer – Borderspirit Joyful
- Taylor Lyon – Rohamki Taylor Made
- Lucas Irwin-Burns – Cwmlline White Water Rapid
- Jamie Wright – Jessie Jamie
- Clare Maitland – Ebony Edge Belle
21st March 2019