BOSTON & DISTRIT CANINE SOCIETY
5TH JANUARY, 2019
I am indebted to the Boston Committee for thinking of me to judge the breed I so love. Although I no longer own a Basset through work and family commitments they are always on my mind. Although having No CCs I was delighted with the entry and the quality. I really enjoyed judging the breed and found my top winners very special. I awarded the dog CC winner BOB and was delighted to learn he won the Hound Group, and even better the next day to be told that he had gone onto win Res BIS in very strong competition.
PUPPY DOG 1 ENTRY
1) MELBOURNES & MURRAYS’ DIHEATH JAMAICA I think this pup shows a lot of potential thought him a very attractive tri colour in excellent smooth coat so well bodied at 6 months old, full of character and enjoying his day. Very smart, balanced tapering, constructed head, dark kind eyes and low set hung ears, long arched neck, prominent deep chest and brisket and well laid back and angled shoulder to upper arm straight well boned short legs. Firm broad level back over good body with substance for age well ribbed back, strong quarters and hocks, large padded feet for one so young powerful mover with good forward and rear action. BPD BPIB
JUNIOR DOG 2 ENTRIES
1) MELBOURNE & MURRAYS’ DIHEATH BALDRICK good shape and size to this 16 months well built and bodied well coated L/W. Good head shape well worked but just needs to mature which will happen as he develops, nice eye and hung ears. Strong neck of length into a firm back of good length to well rooted tail. Deep body just looking a little heavy, ribs well back, strong rump and developed quarters. Deep chest and brisket well boned forelegs. Stylish mover covered the ground well.
2) SHADBOLTS’ SEDONIA’S AMBASSADOR OF AKURA I really liked the head of this boy so well developed and moulded but for 17months I would have liked him a little more mature and to have a little more length to his back. Firm back and nicely rooted tail carried well. Enough depth to chest and brisket and ribs are back enough. Presented well, nicely conditioned tri coloured coat with good skin. Good quarters and hocks. Well boned forelegs and compact feet. Moved out but not the stride of my winner or the front action which needs to tighten.
POST GRADUATE DOG 2 ENTRIES
1) HIRSTS’ DIHEATH REALLY COSMIC AT MEJANA good overall size and shape to this 18 month old who won the class on his build and movement. Head is correctly shaped but his wide blaze makes him look a little plain and spoils his expression, dark eyes and well hung ears. Laid back shoulders firm back line of good length, nice tail set and carried. Well ribbed back body with substance and depth nicely presented clean tri coloured coat. Good length to his strong boned short forelegs and hindquarters giving him good ground clearance. Moved out too close at front but was sound enough behind with good drive.
2) JONES’QUBO AVALEUR DU SABRE MET CLANWILLOW (IMP BEL) JWW 18 BENELUX JW 18 a smaller built dog with good length to his back although on the stance he dropped his topline, tail set on and used well. A body with a lot of substance and depth and has too much loose skin all over. His chest and body line were so deep and too low to the ground. His clean smooth O/W coat was in nice clean condition and well presented. Short well boned legs, stands and moves with loose elbows working away from his body on the move. Movement spoilt by his loose skin.
OPEN DOG 3 ENTRIES
1) FREERS’ CH/ITA CH SWITHERLAND SMART IMAGE a stunning quality masculine dog on the stack and I was not disappointed going over him. Good strength to his domed and moulded head, slight stop, well set on and hung ears, nice tight dark eyes giving expression, carries head well on long arched muscular neck, well laid shoulders with good length to his firm level broad backline, well set, carried and used tail. In lovely muscular body condition with correct substance and prominent breast bone, depth to chest and brisket, ribs well sprung back into a short firm loin with slight arching. Conditioned rich O/W coat and clean skin. Well moulded muscular hindquarters with turned stifle and let down well boned hocks. Strong boned forelegs with large tight padded feet, very powerful mover with good ground coverage to his side stride, so positive and sound with excellent reach and rear drive. Best Dog, pleased to learn he went onto win the Hound group and RBIS
2) ALLCHORNES’ NELGUS THYME BOMB JW a very smart quality 2 year old male very similar in construction to my 3rd male. Strongly built of a lovely height and good length. Masculine domed head on good length of neck well laid back shoulders and firm level top line to rooted well set tail. Well angulated front, prominent chest and depth to brisket on a body with good substance and depth with ribs well sprung and back to short loin with good ground clearance. Short strong well boned legs and compact large feet, strong hindquarters well muscled and developed stifle and hocks, drove out around the ring with great power in his stride which out moved the 3rd.
3) MELBOURE & MURRAYS’ DIHEATH WRECKLESS ERIC
SPECIAL BEGINNERS DOG 1 ENTRY
1) JONES’ Qubo Avaleur Du Sabre Met Clanwillow (imp Bel) JWW 18 Benelux JW18 Moved and stacked better in this class, but for me he needs to lose that loose skin.
PUPPY BITCH 4 ENTRIES 2 abs
1) JONES’ CLANWILLOW SHINING BRIGHT very impressed by this sweet 9 months old bitch, has a beautiful head of correct shape, well hung leathers and dark alert tight eyes. Holds head proudly on good length of neck well laid back shoulders into a firm back with a strong rump and quarters. Lovely body shape with prominent chest and depth, well sprung ribs and depth for her age, well angulated front and rear. Beautiful L/W smooth textured coat in lovely condition. Strong short well boned legs and compact feet. Although a little loose on the move with time will settle and you could see soundness with drive.
2) BRUNSKILLS’ DIHEATH MARTINIQUE FOR KINLEEBRAE this 6 month baby should mature into something special but today had to give way to the older more mature youngster on development and movement. Pretty domed head nice tapering, nice eye and well set on low ears. Lovely size and shape with good length to her back well held tail. Prominent breast bone, angulated front with depth to chest and well sprung ribs and short strong loin with slight arching. Developed quarters, good bend of stifle and neat hocks. Just needs to settle on the move with her construction she should end up being very sound with free movement.
JUNIOR BITCH 2 ENTRIES
1) ELLRICHS’ MALRICH PARIS CARVER just 1 year old and visually stunning. Gorgeous well domed head with slight tapering to her muzzle, slight stop, kind dark eyes, and low set on ears. Long arched neck into well laid back shoulders firm broad back with well set on tail carried happily. Angulated front, prominent breast bone, nice depth to chest fabulous substance and well sprung back ribs nice arched loin, good body clearance. Beautifully presented Tri coloured quality coat. Strong muscular quarters, well turned stifle and strong hocks, feet of strength well knuckled and padded was so impressed by her on the move which was so sound with good reach and powerful drive. RCC
2) JONES’ CLANWILLOW BRIGHT BY DESIGN this is a fabulous baby so well developed just needs time to mature and will grow into something special. I loved this head so well domed and tapers slightly to stop and muzzle. Pretty expressive eyes, long velvety leathers. Body so well shaped for her age has good breast bone and enough depth to her chest and brisket, lovely body substance and ribs well sprung and back into her short loin. Firm back with enough breadth strong rump and well set on tail. Short but balanced well boned legs and large feet very positive free mover.
POST GRADUATE BITCH 2 ENTRIES
1) FREERS’ SWITHERLAND GUSSACI This was a star, just full of quality a most beautiful girl and filled all I was looking for. Stunning feminine head, domed with some stop, nice brow width and tapering to her muzzle. Kind expressive well shaped darkish eye, low set velvety long ears. Muscular long arched neck clean throat, angulated shoulder to upper arm, strong breast bone, depth to chest and brisket nice body line to slight arched loin with good ground clearance. Beautiful texture to her smooth O/W coat over a body of substance with ribs well sprung back to muscular hindquarters, return of stifle and let down strong hocks. Big strong padded feet. She took my attention on the move she powered around the ring and has great stride and forward thrust and powerful sound rear drive. CC BOS
2) HARDS’ CLANWILLOW AMBER DELIGHT FOR BRAEMORAY Pretty 23 month old impressive looking on the stance. Very feminine of a nice size and shape with a beautiful presented L/W smooth well textured coat which catches your attention across the ring. Loved her head correctly built, well marked and with nice shape and colour to her eyes, low set on hung ears. Arched neck of good length to well laid-back shoulders and firm broad back to muscular hindquarters. For her age would have liked a little more body and substance, she was quite slight all through. Good breast bone, enough depth to chest, brisket with ribs well back to a short loin. Short well boned legs and large feet on the move was a little unsteady and run close behind.
OPEN BITCH 4 ENTRIES 1 ABS
1) RODGERS’ CH SWITHERLAND SMART COOKIE an attractive beautifully presented and conditioned O/W coat with clean supple skin with a lovely smooth texture. Stunning head well shaped and developed and tapers nicely to her muzzle with slight stop, expressive eyes and low set ears. Strong long arched neck to well laid back shoulders firm broad back line, muscular rump well set on and carried tail. Well angulated forequarters, good breast bone, depth of chest and brisket and underline to slight arching at her loin. Well angulated hindquarters, good return of stifle and let down hocks. Has good body ground clearance having short well built legs and large tight feet. Stylish very sound mover with free driving action and forward thrust.
2) ALLCHORNES’ DIHEATH MARCIA now in her 6th year this is a very feminine bitch. She looked to be a little heavy on the stance, going over her thought she was carrying a little too much body weight. Beautiful head shape, slight stop, strong muzzle, low set velvety ears. Clean throat arched neck of good length into well laid back shoulders and firm broad backline to strong muscular hindquarters, good return of stifle and let down hocks. Angulated forequarters, good breast bone, deep chest and brisket and has deep body line but with enough ground clearance. Short well boned strong legs and tight big feet, stylish mover and so sound won her place over 3 on her movement.
3) HIRSTS’ DIHEATH MARMITE AT KEJANA
SPECIAL BEGINNERS BITCH 1 ENTRY
1) FREUDENREICHS’ MALRICH PUSS N BOOTS Nice size and shape to this well coated O/W 2 year old bitch. Nice head shape and eye colour found it difficult to assess her mouth, needs a firmer hand to control her on the table. Good back length and firm top line well held tail, angulated both ends well bodied with ribs well back. Good length to her short legs with compact feet. Moved out well and soundly.
JUDGE CARL MILLER