GUNDOG SOCIETY OF WALES
30TH OCTOBER, 2018
Great Gundog show with lovely hospitality so well looked after and appreciated. The weather was kind to us on this lovely Malvern showground with a lovely big ring and two very capable stewards to look after me.
I think the breed is in a favourable place with the strength, height to length giving that overall square build, finding the breed standard height difference in both dogs and bitches and getting that balance right was much easier. Heads, on the whole are much improved and I could see so much work has been put into them within breeding. Bodies with depth and substance plus presentation was good throughout. Front movement was excellent, free and sound, rear movement still needs work as many were close at hock and or foot mainly because of the rear dewclaws.
I thank all the exhibitors for a lovely quality entry, and a super day with a super breed.
PUPPY DOG 3 ENTRIES 1 ABS
1) KNOWLES & GLENS’ SPINFANDEL WORLD WAS WIDE ENOUGH WITH BESSALONE (IMP USA) Lovely puppy full of quality, seemed at home in the ring, stood well over the ground with a nicely balanced outline and moved out on good straight, boned legs and compact feet with a free and sound action. On putting your hands on he was so well bodied with thick skin and correct angles, having enough substance and depth with ribs well sprung and back with nice loin. Very attractive white coarse textured coat good length. Stylish, head furnished and shaped, correct planes and furrow, large open eyes need to darken slightly but have a kind expression, furnished pendulous ears, strong muzzle and bite, strength to neck of good length into laid back shoulders with a correct backline and well set and carried tail. Could not be denied BPD and BPiB. Lovely to see that top Gundog Specialist Mr. Jock Mackay had the same opinion when he awarded him BPiS
2) WOODWARDS’ CONNOMAR MIRCO NENZI, just 6 months of age and not quite as mature and developed but is of a nice type. Delightful head nicely furnished with good planes and defined furrow, large kind eyes, pendulous ears with dense hair. Shortish neck, good strength for age well laid shoulders and correct back and set of tail. Well bodied and ribbed with coat of coarse texture little dense and rough at present. Well angled both ends with good breast bone, straight well boned and furnished legs. Moved out freely once settled little close behind.
JUNIOR DOG 3 ENTRIES 2 ABS
1) HOPES’ TESTAVERDE MAGIC MOMENTS Well built and balanced youngster of lovely breed type, excels in head with equal balance and planes, good stop and furrow, large open expressive eyes, well furnished beard and brows. Strong correct neck to shoulders well laid back, firm correct backline to well set tail carried little high on the move. Body with thick skin and with ribs well back, lovely substance and depth, with good angles both ends, shown in a nicely presented orange roan coat of correct length and coarse texture. Elbows held well in on straight boned forelegs well furnished compact large feet. Muscular hindquarters with enough return of stifle, moved out well once he settled, has a fast driving rear action little close at foot due to dews. Good forward reach.
NOVICE DOG 1 ENTRY
1) FORHAMS’ LUCORU CATEQUIL AT CLOUDNINE stylish 16 months youngster of a good size and overall balance, presented well in a brown and white patched jacket of good length and texture. Masculine balanced head, good planes, stop and furrow, dark large open eyes nice brows giving lovely expression, well placed pendulous furnished ears. Strong jaw with furnished beard. Muscular neck of length into well laid back shoulders and into a correct firm backline. Tail set on little too but carried fine. Body with tough skin that is well coated, angled forequarters with width and depth to chest, body and brisket, good weight with ribs well sprung and back, nice tuck to loin. Elbows in on straight well boned legs with compact large feet, muscular strong hindquarters. Moved out well with free powerful strides little close behind due to rear dews. Good forward reach and sound.
POST GRADUATE DOG 8 ENTRIES 1 ABS
1) BLYTHES’ LARLILA MORELLO very impressive looking male stood out. Has a correct balance with very good angles front and rear in a body with lovely depth and substance. Stylish head with balance and good planes, nice stop and furrow, large open dark eyes giving kind expression. Powerful clean arched neck with good muscle tone well laid back shoulders correct firm backline slight croup dip to well carried tail. Thick skin over a well ribbed back body in to nice loin with slight tuck, covered by a beautiful Brown roan flat dense jacket. With good furnishing to head and legs. Elbows in on straight well boned legs with big compact feet, muscular hindquarters very powerful which showed on the move which was sound both front and rear with reach and drive.
2) RICHARDSONS’ CONNOMAR ZELBIO I thought this stylish boy looked long on the stance but putting my hands on found him to be fairly square, he has a lovely look to his orange roan coat with good coarse texture, super head well furnished too lovely brows over large open eyes, good stop, furrows, balanced muzzle with beard. Muscular slightly crested neck into sloping shoulders firm correct backline and slope to croup with nice tail set and carriage. Lovely body with substance and ribs well sprung slight tuck to loin. Well muscled quarters let down hocks. Straight well boned forelegs and large compact feet.
3) COOKS’ CONNOMAR PRATAIOLO OF ROUGHMOOR
LIMIT DOG 7 ENTRIES 1 ABS
1) BRUCE & HANESKOGS’ TEAZLEDOWN BLUE GANGSTA stunning boy excels in breed type stood out for me across the ring and did not disappoint on going over him, he is robust of a lovely size, squarely balanced and has obvious substance and depth. Masculine head of strength with equal balance divided with nice stop and slight furrow. Lovely brows over dark expressive open eyes, and well set and furnished ears. Strong clean crested muscular neck into sloping shoulders and correct backline with slight arch over loin area and fall at croup with nice tail set. Forequarters well angled with depth the chest and brisket, straight well boned oval legs compact large feet. A body with ribs well back into a short loin, thick skin covered with a super presented orange and white coarse texture coat. Rear angles muscular and broad, with moderate return of stifle, let down hocks, fantastic mover with correct reach and drive and so sound. Certainly I feel one for the top spot. Having looked at catalogue see he is the litter brother to my CC winning dog.
2) CLARKS’ AFTERGLOW GAME PLAYER Little to separate these two, a smart boy with nice outline of correct size and overall balance. Super head proportions with masculine strength, nice breed points, lovely alert kind open eyes under brows, deep furnished muzzle and spongy nose. Holds head well on strong crested neck into sloping shoulders and a firm correct backline with nice rump and slope to well set and used tail. Correctly angulated fore chest with width and depth, well sprung back ribs in a body with good thick skin and lovely substance, having a nice tuck to loin. Muscular hindquarters, correct return to stifle and strong straight hocks. Correct strength and bone to his straight furnished legs and tight feet. Another with a super coarse texture and length to his presented O/R coat. Stylish mover which is so sound with a free reach and powerful drive.
3) ROSSITERS’ INOSTRICANI GALAXI
OPEN DOG 7 ENTRIES 1 ABS This was a very strong class.
1) GILLS’ TEAZLEDOWN MOONWALKER AT JOCAGIL JW I had hoped to find this dog in previous classes, so was pleasantly surprised to see this just 4 year old well marked brown stood in this class. Having previously judged him 8 months earlier and thought he excelled in breed type, today he looked more robust and had matured further. Very impressive masculine powerful head correctly built and balanced, good stop, delightful expression from large open dark brown eyes covered by bushy brows, big spongy nose on strong depth of muzzle well bearded. Clean, moderate crested neck muscled into well laid back sloping shoulders, desired firm back with correct fall and rise over loin and slight fall to croup, well set and held tail. Muscular body with thick skin, depth and width to chest, deep brisket with substance, well sprung ribs back into a short strong loin with slight tuck. Correctly angulated front and rear with straight strong oval boned forelegs well furnished, good bend of stifle nicely furnished, compact large feet. Superior presentation to a harsh textured brown patched coat with density. Impressive to watch on the move with an easy, powerful free stride, lovely side gait, forward reach and rear drive and so sound. Pleased to award DCC (his second) and BOB
2) KNOWLES & GLENS’ SHCH/IR.SHCH AFTERGLOW HASHTAG SCANDAL AT BESSALONE JW ShCM CW16 I have judged this boy before and I find him very impressive. Is slightly taller than my winner, is of the desired robust build has overall balance and stands so well covering the ground. Masculine head good divergent planes, super expression under lovely brows, furnished moustache on strong deep muzzle, big nose. Powerful slightly arched neck into sloping shoulders and into the desired back line and a strong rump with slight drop to well set tail. So well presented in his light O/Roan jacket, lovely texture, over a body with thick skin so well ribbed with depth and substance. Good depth of chest, not quite the upper arm of my winner, straight oval boned legs furnished well with strong large feet. Strong rump and hindquarters with developed stifle and strong let down hocks. Stylish mover very sound with a free drive with forward action. A very impressive big winner so deserved of his title. RCC
3) CHALLANDS’ SH.CH MISTYAYRE GIGOLO FOR ANNILANN ShCM
VETERAN DOG 2 ENTRIES BOTH ABS
PUPPY BITCH 6 ENTRIES 1 ABS was an interesting class with some lovely babies.
1) HODGSONS’ OSULF SUGAR COOKIE little divided the first two they were of a lovely type and very balanced in outline, one small thing separated them, but I am sure all the pups will do well. Sweet head of correct balance and strength with good planes, defined furrow and stop, sweet expressive eyes correct shape and colour for age with brows coming. Holds head well on a clean shortish crested neck set well into sloping shoulders, holds her back correctly with good rump and tail set with correct carriage. Lovely weight and condition to thick skinned body, nice deep chest with width and has good brisket and tuck to loin. Rounded hindquarters with good return of stifle and strong hocks, compact feet. Very attractive dense O/R coat presented well. Straight, balanced legs and compact tight feet, handled well to get the best from her, shows much promise as she has power, is sound and moves with a good forward reach and free drive from her rear and carries her tail correctly.
2) BRUCE & HOLMES’ TEAZLEDOWN BLUEBERRY HILL Squarely built and has good muscle tone for her age. Lovely feminine head nicely furnished, good planes, nice stop, expressive eyes needing to darken slightly, depth to muzzle. Shortish strong neck with crest, moulding well into sloping shoulders and into a desired fall and rise to her backline with a strong rump. Very well bodied with correct skin and textured lighter O/Roan coat of good length with lovely presentation. Well ribbed back body with short loin, good rump tail little high set on. Straight well boned forelegs with round tight large feet. Has correct angles front and rear with depth and width to chest and brisket, very good return to stifle, has muscle tone. Is a stylish mover and sound both coming and going for me her outline is spoiled by a high tail carriage.
3) KEMPS’ PENDIO ROMAN HOLIDAY
JUNIOR BITCH 7 ENTRIES 1 ABS
1) BULLIVANTS PAYGUNS WILLOW MOON Is a lovely size and shape with overall balance with everything oozing femininity. Super balanced head and planes, alert sweetest of dark eyes under brows, strong muzzle nicely furnished, big nose. Lovely neck carriage into a sloping shoulder into a desired back line firm when on the move with correctly set and carried tail. Thick skin over a developed body, with depth and width to her chest so well angulated, deep brisket, elbows in on straight well boned legs and compact tight feet. Substance and depth, ribs well sprung extending back to short loin with slight tuck all covered in flashy light o/r jacket of correct length and texture. Muscular hindquarters enough return of stifle and straight let down hocks with furnish. Has a lovely open free stride, but she could have been moved at a faster speed, as this was a second handler so I could not deny as she was so sound and had reach and drive.
2) ALLUMS’ MACARICA TOSCANINI very balanced outline of good height to length and with a lovely look of being feminine, loved her head correct planes, stop, furrow, has a real character in her dark eyes lovely brows and moustache to her muzzle and big brown nose. Proud head carriage, correct fall and rise to her firm back with slight drop at croup to her set of tail. Well toned body with thick skin covered in dense flat well marked brown roan coat with furnishings. Enough angles to her fore chest but would have liked a little more depth of chest. Straight balanced legs with strength, big feet could be tighter. Toned rear quarters with good stifle and let down hocks, stylish mover very sound covers the ground well and is sound both coming and going with a lovely side stride.
3) DAVIES’ ELGIN LOSING MY MARBLES AM CARTREFYSPIN
NOVICE BITCH 1 ENTRY ABS
POST GRADUATE BITCH 5 ENTRIES 2 ABS
1) GRIEFS’ GOLDFLY FLOWERS GAY GOSSIP a quality, stylish and feminine 3 year old headed a small class I preferred her overall balance and height to length and had lovely angles both ends, good depth and strong bone all making her make up very typical. Very stylish and balanced head, good planes, stop, sweet expression to her large almond shaped eyes, correct furnished ears well set. Strong neck correct crest well laid back into open shoulders firm backline with fall and rise over loin, well set tail. Correct angles and depth with good chest width, desired oval boned legs and compact feet. Developed body with thick skin, presented O/R jacket of good length over ribs well sprung and back, broad, muscular hindquarters and correct return to stifle. Considerately handled by another to get the best from her showing free positive sound action.
2) WARRENS’ CONIGLIERA PURPLE STAR A slightly taller well made bitch with good height to length balance. Attractive head of strength nicely furnished with good brows and beard, kind eyes, strong jaw and big nose. Good head carriage on crested powerful neck of short length, would have liked better angulated front lacking the upper arm of 1. Straight forelegs needing more strength to her bone, correct pasterns and compact feet. Well coated O/R patched coat of good length and texture over a body with sprung ribs and depth with substance. Little straight in stifle, straight hocks. Showed soundness and a good trot out but lacked the reach and drive of 1.
3) WOODWARDS’ CONNOMAR GIUDA
LIMIT BITCH 10 ENTRIES
1) BRUCE & BRUCES’ TEAZLEDOWN APHRODITE This is a stunning 2 year old and certainly took my attention and was in my thoughts for the top honours. Presents a lovely outline and has the look of I am here on the stance. I loved her quality feminine head with correct planes, nice stop and furrow, bright, large open dark eyes under furnished brows with good beard moustache on a strong muzzle. Correct neck to shoulder and firm desired backline held well both on stance and the move, broad croup with slight fall to well held tail. Strongly developed body with depth and substance, thick skin with a beautiful O/R coarse textured and dense coat. So well angulated front and rear, depth and width to chest, straight oval boned legs and nice pasterns and compact big feet. Muscular quarters, strong tendons and let down hocks showing a powerful side stride and excellent push from the rear and sound forward reach.
2) BARRATTS’ PICCOLONOCE TOOTSIE ROLL Another feminine bitch she has a look of her great sire showing an impressive outline of correct shape and size and nice breed balance, a beautiful look to her very nicely presented O/R jacket. Correct head balance with strength and femininity, open dark eyes well covered giving sweet expression, well hung and furnished ears, strong muzzle and big nose. Well angulated front from well set neck and laid-back shoulder. Muscular body with width and depth to chest and deep brisket nice under line to slight tuck at loin, ribs well sprung back to loin. Straight well boned legs and large tight feet. Muscular broad rump well set tail, return of stifle and strong hocks. Very free sound mover with reach and drive just not the side stride of my winner.
3) TUDGES’ DIGGMERE BELLE AGATHE
OPEN BITCH 7 ENTRIES A lovely class with some good ones going cardless.
1) ALLUMS’ SH.CH ROKEOVER FAIR DINKUM DEL MACARICA ShCM have liked this quality bitch before and was so pleased to see her today and judge her in lovely muscular condition. She is very impressive taking the attention and certainly lovely to go over. She presents a lovely outline so squarely built of correct balance and strength but truly feminine, stunning presentation to her clean O/R coarse textured jacket of good length. Beautifully balanced head of strength with diverging planes, good stop between her kind large open dark eyes, dense hair on hung ears, furnished strong muzzle and big spongy nose. Holds head proudly on the stance and move, muscular shortish neck moulding into well laid sloping shoulders, correct fall and rise over loin, broad rump with slight fall to correct tail set and use. Deep body covered in thick skin and that lovely coat. Ribs well sprung and back to short loin, nice tuck. Lovely angulated front and rear with deep chest and brisket, long thighs and correct bend of stifle, balanced oval boned legs, large feet thick pads. Delight to watch her move as she pulled out all the stops, having a powerful excellent side stride and so sound both ends. CC Best Bitch and BOS.
2) FLEMINGS’ CHANDHALLY LIMON CING my attention was drawn to this 3.5 years old bitch on the stance as she exudes a lovely outline and covers the ground with an air of importance, plus she comes alive on the move which is so positive, has a truly free side gait, lovely forward action and rear drive which is powerful. She is slightly taller than my winner being robust and squarely built is very feminine, her furnished head has strength, balance with correct planes, nice stop between her large open dark eyes and strong muzzle. Shortish crested neck of strength set into well laid-back sloping shoulders into a desired topline held well both on the stance and the move, broad croup with slight fall to her set on and carried tail. Body with good skin and lovely marked O/R coat of coarse texture with enough density although today I forgave that she was a little out of coat. So well angulated front with correct depth and width to chest, straight balanced oval legs with compact tight strong feet, muscular rear quarters with return to stifle and let down hocks, so well developed and muscled.
3) GUESTS’ SH.CH BARDANTOP SPELLS CHOAS
VETERAN BITCH 2 ENTRIES
1) FLEMINGS’ SH.CH/NORW/DK/MED CH/INT CH REDRUE CHERRIECOLA TO CHANDHALLY nearly 8 years old in lovely muscular condition. On the stance I preferred her overall square balance and build. Feminine balanced head divergent planes, good brows over large dark eyes, good teeth, strong muzzle well furnished. Still holds a firm desired backline, broad rump slight fall to her well set tail. Muscular deep body with substance, rib well sprung back into short loin with slight tuck. Well angulated forequarters from shoulder to upper arm, deep chest with width. Straight oval well boned legs and tight large feet. Powerfully developed hindquarters with long thigh, good bend of stifle and well let down hocks. Body with thick skin and covered in coarse textured O/R jacket with good density. Very stylish mover with sound driving action and good forward reach. BEST VETERAN
2) LONGSTAFFS’ KEVARDHU EBREL FYLLYS ShCM 8 year old in super condition not quite the balance of my winner being slightly shorter in back. Beautiful head shape, good strength, loved her dark expressive eyes, nice stop and furrow, clean teeth good dentition, strong muzzle head well furnished. Slightly shorter in neck than 1 with well laid-back shoulders into a firm held backline slight rise over loin broad rump and hindquarters. Well angulated front with width and depth to chest and brisket, good body thick skin with ribs well sprung back and short loin with slight tuck, O/R coat well textured with dense feel so well presented. Straight balanced oval boned forelegs, would have preferred a better return of stifle, strong well let down hocks and tight large feet. Free sound mover with good reach and drive.
JUDGE JENNY MILLER