Judge Ann Ingram
Best In Show
It was a lovely lineup for best in show and all the contenders showed well and were a credit to their handersI It was a pleasure and a privilege to have the opportunity to judge so many top class dogs over the 2 days and I would have been more than happy to have any of the finalists take the top spot! Having moved them all again, the wonderful easy stride and classic type of the Petit took my eye, closely followed by the attitude and style of the Samoyed, he certainly has a certain charisma about him!
Best in Show
Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen, Robertson & Doherty’s Ch. Soletrader Magic Mike, this dog, of correct size, just oozes quality! Presented in good harsh coat giving a natural appearance, he has a lovely head with clearly defined stop, square muzzle and strong underjaw, large oval eyes giving such a kind expression! Long strong neck running into well laid shoulders, deep chest with good fore chest and well carried back ribs, level topline with great tailset, strong hindquarters which he uses so well! His movement is effortless and sound, giving the impression he could go all day! He and his handler have such a great partnership ,he just emanates pleasure and enjoyment!
Reserve Best In Show
The Samoyed Freer and Smith’s Ch Nicara Diamond Dancer JW, every time I looked in his direction this dog was giving his all, stood at attention using his ears all the time! Powerful wedge shaped head with a lovely smiling expression which certainly brought a smile to my face!, He has such a lovely outline with strong arched neck, good length of leg, correct body proportions and well sprung deep ribs, correctly curled tail and good coat. He moved freely with great carriage and lovely attitude. He has naughty side to his character too which I found quite charming!
As well as the top 4, I shortlisted the Bearded Collie, Hungarian Puli, Smooth Collie and Swedish Valhund .
- The Samoyed Freer and Smith’s Ch Nicara Diamond Dancer JW, Reserve Best In Show.
- The Pyrenean Mountain Dog, Nagrecha, Mattisson-Sandstrom & Sandstrom,’s Ch. ViskAlys My Way Or No To Chandlimore. A powerful, strongly built dog, yet not overdone! For breed type, he certainly ticks all the boxes with his lovely head and expression, good bone, well sprung ribs and lovely outline, he moves so soundly but can be a bit lazy with his tail which cost him the group.
- The Australian Shepherd Dog, Allan’s Multi Ch. Allmark Vanity Fabre JW SHCM. CM
Eye catching bitch with lovely head and bright, intelligent expression, good reach of neck running into well laid shoulders, correct body proportions and excellent topline, unexaggerated, well muscled hindquarters, free, easy movement, she looked as if she could have kept going all day.
- The German Shepherd Dog, Ch. Owainglyndwr Autumnal Breeze.
A breed under close scrutiny and I was pleased to see this well made bitch with correct steady temperament who moved well with a nice easy stride ,correct topline and unexaggerated rear movement. She has an excellent head and expression , well set ears which she used well. Long. strong neck ,running into well laid shoulders, good feet and pasterns, and unexaggerated hindquarters.
As Well as the final 4, I shortlisted the Alaskan Malamute, Portuguese Water Dog, Dogue De Bordeaux and Boxer .
- The Great Dane, Webb & Morgan-Evans’ Ch. Vanmore Stop and Stare At Castleon
He took my eye as soon as he came into the ring with his great nobility, combining size and strength with a dash of elegance, added to this he has a beautiful head and expression. He looked a picture stacked but knowing that movement is not always the strong point of this breed, I was so relieved when he moved off, covering the ground with ease, keeping a good topline and decent rear movement. He has a long crested neck running into well laid shoulders, lovely fore chest and depth of brisket, good bone and feet, I just was so impressed to see this quality in the breed.
- The Bernese Mountain Dog , Hartley-Mair & Dybdall ‘s Ch. Meadowpark High Class
Another top class dog in excellent coat and condition, lovely head and expression, strong muscular neck, well sprung ribs, broad chest and well laid shoulders. He really comes into his own on the move with his strong hindquarters and lovely outline, such a super temperament, he puts everything in for his handler.
- The Doberman, Ingram’ s Ch. & Ir. Ch. Jojavik Poison Ivy JW SHCM. CW16
So very feminine with a lovely clean outline, lovely head with dark expressive eyes, nicely crested neck running into well laid shoulders, well developed fore chest, good topline and strong hindquarters which she uses so well on the move, another great performer.
- The Bullmastiff, lindley’s Ch. Hyerdunscar The Big Tease JW J Ch. CW16.
Well balanced feminine bitch who has a broad skull, well defined stop, wide underjaw, and intelligent expression. Deep, wide chest , strong hindquarters, moves soundly with a good outline.
As well as my final 4, I shortlisted the Bichon, Cavalier, Long Coat Chihuahua & King Charles Spaniel .
- The English Toy Terrier, Leonard ‘s Ch. Witchstone Minnehaha
A difficult breed to find this sort of quality and super temperament. She is so well balanced, compact and very elegant,She has a long narrow head, well filled under the eyes, dark almond shaped eyes with candle flame ears which she uses so well. Her compact body gently curves towards her correctly set tail, she moves so well with nice extended front movement and good topline.
- The Maltese, Jackson & Egan’s Ch. Benatone Gino D’Acampo
Eye catching dog of correct size in great coat. Very nice head with well defined stop, broad muzzle and dark expressive eyes, good body and topline, strong hindquarters, straight free flowing movement with well carried tail.
- The Papillon, Miller and Ryan’s Ch. Feorlig Smarty Pants JW SHCM.CM
What a showman he is! He has a lovely head with slightly rounded skull, fine muzzle and wonderful correctly set ears. So very well made with good body proportions and correct coat. He has light, free movement with lovely attitude and great carriage
- The Pekingese,Shaw & Mc Namara’s Pekehuis Super Natural For Lynbank
So very typical with his wide, flat skull, large, open nostrils, correct chin and dark lustrous eyes. short, thick neck,well boned forelegs, short back, with good tailset, he has that lovely typical stately roll on the move.
A really strong group with several choices.
My shortlist was The Akita, Standard Poodle, Shar Pei and Bulldog, and final four were:
- The Toy Poodle, Shaw, Isherwood & Lynn’s Ch. Afterglow Aloysius
What a performer he is! A real Toy of nice size with a well chiselled fore face, dark expressive eyes, good reach of neck, short back, good body, and strong hindquarters, he is such a good dog to go over! he really pulled out all the stops with his faultless performance to take the group in top quality competition. This dog could hold his own anywhere in the world!
- The Lhasa Apso , Phillips’ Dimara Soulboy
Masculine dog with gorgeous head and expression, good front which can be a problem in this breed,nicely crested neck, good bone and rib cage, correct body proportions and strong hindquarters. He moves really well with lovely carriage and outline and a touch of arrogance!
- The Miniature Poodle ,Evertsen’s Dk. Ch. Norsk. Ch. Sweet Sandust Indy’s Angel WW18
Such a beautiful feminine bitch in superb coat and condition. Long refined head with dark almond shaped eyes, Long crested neck, good body and topline, such lovely carriage and outline on the move.
- The Miniature Schnauzer,Hood’s Jastalla Born Leader
Liked the overall outline of this dog with his long head with powerful muzzle, dark expressive eyes andwell set ears which he uses well, good neck and shoulder, short back, deep chest, well let down hocks, moves very well keeping his nice outline. In excellent coat and condition.
From a top class group my unplaced shortlist was the Border Terrier, Dandie Dinmont, Smooth Fox Terrier and Lakeland. It was tough decisions as I would have been happy to give any of these top 4 the group but in the end my winner was
- Wire Fox Terrier, Malzonis Am. Ch. Hampton Courts Monte Cristo, who was immaculately presented with his nice crisp jacket, he impressed with his long narrow head, keen expression, nicely crested neck, short back and lovely outline, very sound on the move, a real stallion of a dog.
- West Highland White Jaruthavee’s Zackshine Boy De La Pomme, loved this dog’s attitude and ring presence, he exuded real terrier temperament! Well presented with good harsh coat, lovely head with truly expressive eyes, small, well set ears, short back with great body and topline, strong hindquarters which he uses so well ,lovely carriage on the move.
- Scottish Terrier Popova’s Multi Ch. Filiste Brash Beauty Never Lies, yet another top class terrier in wonderful coat and condition, very feminine but still had good bone and well rounded rib cage, well let down sturdy body, long clean head, expressive almond shaped eye, great outline on the move.
- Australian Terrier Mc Court, Eardley & O’Reilly’s Ch. Silhill Barney Rubble, what a performer this boy is, presented in great coat and so well proportioned , low set, with correct moderate depth of chest, front well set under, level topline and great neck and shoulder, lovely head with keen expression, super outline on the move.
My shortlist was the Basset Fauve De Bretagne, Rhodesian Ridgeback, Norwegian Elkhound and Borzoi.such a close decision between the first 2, but on the final move I thought the winner was just that bit fresher on the move.
- Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen, Robertson & Doherty’s Ch. Soletrader Magic Mike, Best In Show
- The Beagle Spavin’s Ch. & VDH Ch. Dialynne Peter Piper. What a quality dog he is! So very typical with his overall balance, very nice head and his lovely soft expression. Nicely arched neck, well laid shoulders, good depth of brisket and strong hindquarters, very true on the move keeping his level topline and great tail carriage.
- The Whippet. Howgate & Hull’s Palmik Misty Eve JW Very graceful elegant bitch of nice size. Good head and expression, long crested neck, well laid shoulders, deep chest and well let down hocks. Nice free movement, maintaining her correct topline and covering the ground well.
- The Irish Wolfhound, Amoo’s Ch. Sade Brutus, impressive male with plenty of bone and substance giving a commanding appearance. Great head with clean skull and gentle expression. Strong neck, good depth of brisket, well let down hocks, nice easy mover.
My shortlist was Irish Red & White Setter, Chesapeake Bay Retriever, Spanish Water Dog & German Wire Haired Pointer
- The Pointer, Sh. Ch. Chesterhope Thrill of The Chase (Imp) Aristocratic, graceful male whose outline just flows! Lovely head with correct stop and concave muzzle giving the required slightly dish faced appearance, and kind expression. Long crested neck, well laid shoulders, good feet and pasterns, beautiful outline which he keeps on the move, covering plenty of ground and using his tail well. Was lovely to watching going around the big ring.
- The Red Setter, Milligan-Bott & Bott’s Sh. Ch. Thendara Pot Noodle, handsome male in excellent coat and condition. Long lean head, oval skull and intelligent, gentle expression. Deep chest, firm topline, gently sloping from his withers, powerful hindquarters and well set tail which he carries correctly. Moves so very well with good drive and front extension, worked really well for his handler.
- The Gordon Setter, Boxall’s Sh. Ch. Ludstar Frederick Frankenstein (Imp It) very sound dog so very typical of his breed with his beautiful head and dark expressive eyes, long clean neck, deep brisket, broad, muscular hindquarters which he uses so well on the move to give him true, free movement.
- Irish water Spaniel, Carruthers’ Sh. Ch. Gloi Donn All Or Nothing At Stanegate, strongly made dog with excellent coat and colour, and he certainly has plenty of enthusiasm ! Good sized head with plenty of brain capacity and bright expression, powerful, arched neck, correct barrel-shaped ribs , broad, level back and strong hindquarters. Could be a bit more settled on the move but it nice to watch him having such a good time!